Quentin's narration style present the reader with a more human perspective of the story in a biased sense. Unlike Benjy, Quentin's emotions are frequently mixed in with his storytelling to the point where its confusing. His fantasies cannot be separated from the actual narrative, which is why his narration style is as confusing, if not more-so, than Benjy's.
Quentin's overuse of "I" when telling the story definitely makes his presentation choppy and monotonous. Everything that happens somehow relates to himself and how he is affected by it. Rather than stating what happened, Quentin states his own reaction to it. His storytelling is almost narcissistic, especially when you take into context of how angry he is that Caddy is pregnant with Dalton Ames' child, and how Quentin goes to his father and tells him of how he committed incest with Caddy.
It's completely valid to argue that Quentin is less stable mentally than Benjy, because while Benjy's mental capacity is comparable to an 8 year old's, we can tell by his narrative style that he is stable and able to comprehend what is going on. Whereas Quentin's narrative style is jumpy and mixed with his own fantasies. Benjy's chapter is easier to comprehend because the reader understands what is going on in his mind; we understand his disability and the effects it has on his storytelling abilities, but with Quentin, it is apparent that there is something wrong with him mentally (that's why he's suicidal), but since we don't fully understand what is wrong with him, we can't grasp his writing style as well as we can understand Benjy's. That's why Benjy is the better narrator.
You give a good point about this chapter being more humanistic. It definitely gives opinion, whereas with Benjy it was just told as is. It is interesting that you said he gives an almost narcissistic viewpoint because I did not think of it that way. Now that you say that I can see where you are coming from and do agree that he highlights only his emotions and reactions. I love your last paragraph. I completely agree that we could not fully grasp Quentin and that led to a difficult chapter to read. Nice analysis and deep thinking you taught me a lot and got me took view the book in a different way!
ReplyDeleteI like your point of how Quentin's "fantasies cannot be separated from the actual narrative." I think this is a very good way to put it. I discussed this in my blog as well, however, you put it best! I also didn't think about how Quentin was so angry at Caddy. I liked your comparison of Benjy and Quentin and completely agree. Thanks for the insight.
ReplyDeleteI thought you post was very observant. I was intrigued when you said that Quentin's style is more human than Benjy's. I didn't think of comparing them like that. I also found it fascinating that you said Quentin is harder to understand because we don't know where he is coming from. I didn't consider that until you pointed that out and I agree.
ReplyDeleteI really like your comparison between Benjy and Quentin. I honestly never considered comparing their mental states, but I think you are completely right. I also agree with you that Quentin's chapter is completely focused on his reaction to events, not the events themselves.
ReplyDeleteI liked your comparison between Benjy and Quentin. It was interesting. I see Benjy and Quentin as actually being very similar, but I like how you described Quentin as having a more personal connection to the events. In this way his account is more biased because he imbues his stories with emotion, not just flat story-telling that we find with Benjy.
ReplyDelete